HOP / HOPA
Hands on Practice
We train you for all that it means to be a skipper on a charter yacht. Learn how to practically handle a sailing yacht in real traffic and marine situations.
ALL YOU NEED IS PRACTICE
If you've learnt the theory and already have a sailing licence or are about to get one, the CAPETAN helps you with the missing piece: practice at sea. Gain experience in real-life conditions, in destinations holiday destinations.
Hands On Practice
Period - 7 days
Area - Kavala, Greece
Price - Regular 870 EUR/ seat in double cabin / person
Hands On Practice Advanced
Period - 7 days
Area - Athens, Saronic Islands, Greece
Price - Regular 890 EUR /seat in double cabin / person
Private training HOP/HOPA
Period - 7 days / choose your week
Area - HOP-Kavala / HOPA-Athens
Price - starting from 3900EUR / session
- 7 days theory and practice with one of the CAPETAN Club trainers
- Accommodation on school boat with maximum 5 trainees + trainer
- Boat rental (equipment/towels/end-cleaning)
- Attendance at pre-departure theoretical workshops
- Feedback sessions and personal counselling
- Required documentation in electronic format
does not include
- Transport to and from the departure marina (Kavala/Athena)
- Associated costs of diesel/marine/water/power (approx. 30€/pers)
- Deposit/deposit insurance (deposit = 100€/pers returnable; deposit insurance = 25€/pers non-returnable)
HOW IT WORKS
We organise 7-day courses in sailing destinations in Greece where we practice sailing manoeuvres and techniques applicable in real traffic and sea conditions.
BASIC AND ADVANCED
Skipper for 7 days
If you dream of getting out on a boat as much as possible, experiencing the adventure on the waves and enjoying the feeling of freedom the sea gives you, you've come to the right place. We understand and support you! Through partnerships with several sailing schools, we offer you the framework to get the navigation permit. In addition, we offer you experience and confidence - we specialise in practical training courses. Through 7-day modules, you'll practise learning theory andăand enjoy life at sea.
For those who already have some experience but want to improve their skills and build their confidence, we offer advanced course modules. These focus on sail handling, single-handed manoeuvres, night sailing or long mile building routes.
BEGINNER OR ADVANCED?
Choose the right practice module for your level. "Hands On Practice - HOP" is the course where you will practice the most common and frequently used basic manoeuvres. The "Hands On Practice Advanced - HOPA" module is aimed at those who want to improve their skippering skills both as a crew leader and in more difficult situations, practising manoeuvres with a high degree of difficulty or alone at the helm.
Hands on practice
The Hands on Practice module will follow a curriculum of theoretical topics and practical exercises where we aim to give you the basic knowledge and practice to charter and sail a sailboat in coastal waters.
The module consists of two stages. The first stage, before the departure to Greece, consists of 3 workshops where theoretical topics will be discussed. The second stage is practical on a sailing boat in Greece - Kavala.
- MOB with motor
- using emergency tiller
- how to prepare a cruising vessel for sea, including engine checks, securing and stowage of all gear on deck and below
- safety briefing
- presenting first aid kit
- first aid training
- using fire extinguisher
- using a fire blanket
- using flares
- explaining life raft
- using harness + life line + lifesaver
- VHF /EPIRB /AIS radio
- about gas
- bilge pump
- how to properly use bossun's chair
- crew psychology & handling
- role play check in for each skipper
- check in list
- training to do a thorough check in
- role play - crew briefing /week to come summary
- align boat within fixed points
- going out from anchor
- going out from mooring
- rules for anchor
- rules for mooring
- docking stern to (med-mooring)
- portside docking &
- starboard side - coming bow first
- docking portside, starboard side - coming stern first
Hands on practice advanced
The Hands on Practice Advanced event comes as a natural continuation of HOP. This week the emphasis is on two tracks: advanced mono-hull and catamaran introduction.
Advanced involves practicing all the HOP maneuvers, only this time single-handed, reviewing those learned in the first module and then introducing the world of catamarans, differences, peculiarities and of course, maneuvers!
- manoeuvres under sails with crew
- mooring buoy manoeuvres under sails with crew
- training on heave to procedure
- emergency steering with a drogue
- med mooring under windy conditions
- sailing with emergency tiller
- mooring buoy under engine single handed
- med mooring single handed
- anchoring single handed
- leaving mooring single handed
- leaving anchor single handed
- recap mechanics motor
- single-handed sailing
- single handed reefing
- emergency procedures under sails single handed
- sail trimming race & cruising
- Night sailing - NO electronics - autopilot tips and tricks
- recap boat aux - heads/electrical/mechanical/spares
- NO electronics day
- free practice
- centralized feedback
- Mono/Catamaran daily switch
SEE HOW IT WAS IN PREVIOUS YEARS
From 2010 to now, we are proud of all our students!